Friday, August 26, 2011

RIP Awesome Cargo Shorts

My favorite pair of cargo shorts had their last wearing yesterday. They've been a little ratty but acceptable for a year or two now. At that point they went from being dressy to ultra-casual.

I'm a dude; I can get away with that, at least up to a point. From my wife's perspective they probably stopped being acceptable four years ago, but being the saint that she is, she didn't say anything. She will likely be happy to read this posting.

They were the perfect shade of stone grey to go with pretty much anything I care to wear during the summer. And they had the requisite cargo pockets. The Agatha Christie Project (check prior posts for more info) made me appreciate cargo pockets even more; books fit great.


I bought them off the Abercombie and Fitch website about 8 years ago if my memory and calculations are correct. I would have been about 38 years old. Most of Abercrombie's stuff for is for frat boys and not really for me at this time of life, but they do have some acceptable stuff for middle aged people too.

These shorts were top quality; they served me for 8 years. And they got pretty heavy use, being one of favorites. As I get older I appreciate less being more and am willing to invest in good clothing that I really like that will last.

Another part of being a dude is attachment to clothing that we like. The inevitable passing of beloved article of clothing is always a minor deal for us, especially if we have had them for years and live in a four season area. With the change of seasons, it's like rediscovering an old friend every year when the weather changes. I had seven seasons of rediscovery of this part of shorts.

Unlike some dudes, I accept when it's time to retire some clothing. Good bye old friend.

As I write this, I am wearing what is now my new favorite pair of cargo shorts. They are still in the dressy stage. Hello new friend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post. I had a similar pair of shorts that wore out. Was pretty hard to get rid of 'em, but it was time. What did you do with these shorts, anyhow?