Saturday, June 30, 2012

New Project: Reading Every One of Our Books - Part 1


I have been collecting books since I was a teenager. I wanted a book lined library some day (I sort of have it). It just seemed so cool and so classy. This was well before the Web with just about anything you want to know being just a click away, making many printed books obsolescent.

Book Collector
If you wanted a book lined library, you needed books (obviously). So planning ahead, I started collecting books when I was young,.. young and really poor. I got a lot of great books from thrift stores, library sales, used book stores, and from the clearance racks of new book stores. 30some years of collecting books. Between my wife and I, we have 100s and 100s of books.

Not like Foreigner at All - No Urgency
The problem with collecting books is there is no urgency to read them. Most are bought cheaply which further removes any urgency since they didn't really cost anything. They are bought to be read someday.

With ebooks and mp3s, you no longer need to collect physical objects like books or CDs. I now have no desire for physical items. Kindle software on a tablet is fine with me. But I still have a lot of books from the old days.

Book Ex-Collector
With my transition to ex-collector, I have become a reader. Someday is now. I want to read all of our books and then probably get rid of them.


No comments: