Sunday, March 30, 2008

You don't have to be Smart to eBay

Concerned that I was working too much, last December, I marked four Slow Down Weeks on my Google calendar for 2008 , one per quarter. A Slow Down Week isn't a week off, it's a week on but at 2/3s speed or less. Today is the last day of my first Slow Down Week of 2008.

One of the things I did this week, in lieu of the full normal overload of real work, was to clean up clutter around the house. When we moved in June, I set some stuff aside to sell on eBay. This is the week to finally get that stuff listed.

Two of the items I have had in my possession for a long time are a 1957 Silver Certificate, which turns out to be worth about $2, and a 1937 $20 bill, which seems to be worth $20, unless you are a stupid eBay seller. Someone actually listed a $20 bill with a $9.99 starting price! Three bids later, it is still under $20 with 15 hours to go.

Silver Certificates, something I never could understand why they existed, were news to my wife and we had a nice conversation about them. So the Silver Certificate actually turned out to some value greater than $1 for me and Maureen. She and I are now fully knowledgable on Silver Certificates. If you click this Wikipedia link, you will be too. Not surprisingly there is no Wikipedia entry as to why someone would sell a $20 bill for $9.99.

Looks like I'll be holding on to the silver certificate and putting the 1937 $20 back into circulation.

No comments: