Monday, June 27, 2011

South Broad Street Hike

Last week or so, I was at an afternoon ballgame and was meeting Maureen in town later that night for a dinner and play. I had 90 minutes between the game and meeting my wife, I so hiked up Broad Street which would take about an hour, giving me 30 minutes to chill out in Rittenhouse Square.

Street hiking is a hobby of mine that I really enjoy. South Broad is one of Philadelphia's main streets and is the backbone of South Philly. I've been in a car on South Broad quite a few times, but haven't really walked much of it, until a week or so ago.

The best way to see anything is on foot. Click below to see some of what I saw. My various thoughts are in the captions.

Conclusion: South Broad is rather strange. It's very South Philly but has pretty much none of the landmarks that have made South Philly so legendary and cool. It's a neat walk, but most of the other number streets to the east would probably be more interesting.

The pictures, with captions, are here.

1 comment:

Jack Curtin said...

Whenever I go to cities like Denver, Chicago or San Francisco, I walk everywhere and always think to myself, "why don't I do this in Philly?"

Now and then, I do. Years ago, for reasons I can't recall, I did do much of the Broad St. walk you describe. And, on the last day of Philly Beer Week 2010, my friend Carl and I walked from center city down to South Philly Tap Room, mostly on 12th St., and it was fascinating.