Monday, July 11, 2011

Why Do So Many Paul McCartney Solo Songs Suck?

I was out somewhere last weekend and Paul McCartney's Jet came on the in background. Click below to refamiliarize yourself, if you dare.



This song quite sucks. Not the over the top WTF suck of Wonderful Christmastime, but sucky none the less. ("WTF suck" - I like that). The song even starts off sucky. "Jet, woo hoo woo woo JET!" - woo that's deep.

And then we get "And Jet, I thought the major was a lady suffragette!", which comes out as was a lady sufferaJETTT!!!! It wouldn't be so bad, but that line appears four times in the song, so just when you forget how damn annoying and insipid it is, it comes back to remind you, and then remind two more times.

The song Jet does have some good qualities, the music and background vocals are really quite good. So it's a mixed bag, which is pretty much the story of McCartney's solo work. For every great song, there is a stinker, often even in the same song. Which annoys me because being a big Beatles fan, I want to be a Paul McCartney solo fan, but I can't because so much of it sucks.

To end up on a positive note, here's a Paul McCartney solo song that is pure gold. I love the trumpets on it. I could listen to this song over and over for hours. With the exception of the somewhat forced title track, Tug of War is a McCartney album with no clunkers. The clunker being Ebony and Ivory, a song that seems good but doesn't hold up to repeated listenings, or maybe even the second listening.


Anyway to end up on a positive note, hit stop on Jet*, if you haven't already, and play Wanderlust.

A little bit of trivia, Wanderlust was the boat on which Paul recorded the album London Town, and on which there was one of Paul's many high profile marijuana busts. Captain says they'll be a bust.

Maybe this gives us a clue, could it be the reefers that make Paul write so many sucky songs? I'd argue that it could be the opposite, that maybe Paul isn't smoking enough. The Beatles, it is told, smoked pot like crazy while recording Rubber Soul, the CD (and English LP) version of which is my favorite Beatles album. Maybe Paul should write and record all future albums in Amsterdam.

* If you were like me, you stopped Jet at the second lady sufferaJET.

3 comments:

Nancy Roman said...

I agree so completely! I loved the Beatles, and I can't stand Paul's post-Beatle music (except "Maybe I'm Amazed" - and I chalk that up to residual Beatle influence. I think he stopped trying and started just tossing off little ditties. Some of them are 3 or 4 little ditties just pieced together...like he couldn't even stick with ONE WHOLE LITTLE DITTY.

Beatlephobe (Larry from NYC said...

Oposite : The Beatles were overrated.They were musically inexperienced & overcommercialized.Everything they recorded was geared to instant consumption -hence,simple repetittive pop songs.McCartney&Wings weren't under as much pressure to mass produce pop songs,combined with maturity -hence songs & albums like Band onthe Run ,exceeding anything the Fag4 did.Still,he is the most overindulged entertainer ever !

Scoats said...

But so much of the Beatles work holds up, at least most everything from Help! onward. The rare exception usually being a Paul song.

They were real innovators. I don't listen to the Beatles too often these days, but when I do I am never disappointed.