Saturday, July 28, 2012

Jane Austin

The read every book we own project has taken me to Jane Austen.

Up until today, I have never read any Jane Austen stuff despite having various paperbacks in my collection since my teens. Those paperbacks got donated to the library's used book sale when Maureen bought The Complete Jane Austin Novels.

Austen, Jane is one few of our A and B authors that I haven't finished reading yet. I put off reading her til the end of this segment because I didn't have any enthusiasm to get started with her stuff. Maureen had already warned me I wouldn't like it. Plus being a compilation of all her novels, the book is very large and rather heavy.

I've seen various Masterpiece Theaters and movies based on Jane Austen books and I didn't really hate those, so how bad could it be?

As usual Maureen was right. I read a page and a half and found it very wooden, even for the late 1700s. To be fair, knowing that some stories take a while to get going, I jumped to the middle and read a random page. Didn't like that either.

I honestly couldn't care about young women finding wealthy husbands so they wouldn't have to work. I grew to dislike the parasitic English gentry while reading all the Agatha Christie novels. I don't really want to spend any more time with them. Even Agatha got sick of writing about them. 

For this project, I do not have to finish every book we own, but I have to give them all try. Jane Austen the Compete Novels (or whatever it is called) is one of only three books so far that I gave up on before finishing.

Also on our shelf for this segment is The Darceys & the Bingleys by Marsha Altman. This sequel to Pride and Prejudice is a book Maureen bought. Since I won't be reading the original, it makes no sense for me to read this one either.

Two books in the project down in a manner of minutes. Now that's what I call progress! Not the best kind, but progress none the less.

No comments: