Sunday, September 2, 2012

Dancers in Mourning by Margery Allingham

The Read Everyone of the 1000s of Books We Own Project continues.

Dancers in Mourning by Margery Allingham


This book was a tough read. The story kept my interest but the writing could have been done with a lighter touch. Nobody wants to read a book filled with simple sentences, but conversely trudging through paragraph length sentence after paragraph length sentence is a slog. You need to mix it up a little. Based on just this novel which isn't fair, Allingham was a good writer but no Steinbeck or Hemingway.






A nice thing about being alive right now is through social media, you can share what you are reading with your friends. I have been using Goodreads to keep track of the books I have been reading. My friend Joanne Countryman noticed I was reading this one. She loves the Campion books, which inspired me to keep reading to the end.

Arriving at seems to be around the middle of the Campion books, I have some curiosity regarding the story arc of Albert Campion, but I have a 100s of other books on the shelves to finish before I go looking for more.

There is a little bit of a mystery of where this book came from. Maureen tells me this book isn't her's. Normally there are clues as to how a book came into my possession. There is no price tag nor a used book store stamp on it, so I have to assume it was bought new. Since I never heard of Margery Allingham or Campion before reading this book, I find it unlikely I bought this book for myself or as a gift for Maureen. Maybe it was a gift (my brother perhaps?).

2 comments:

julia jones said...

Allingham wrote this story when in deep grief after the death of her father. It draws on childhood memories but these are so far concealed that it wasn't until I read her books in chronological order and was writing her biography that I felt that I understood what was going on. She also experienced an unexpected infatuation at that time - just as Campion does. Dancers has now become one of my favourites among her novels.

Scoats said...

Thanks for commenting and the interesting backstory Julia.

I recently did a multi-year project to read Agatha Christie's books in chronological order. Just as I getting sick of her writing, she got really good in her 40s.

Does Allingham's writing get less dense as she gets older?